The Big Picture
SuperKids looked at six new math programs this month, covering topics ranging from simple addition to calculus, and featuring techniques ranging from flashcards to simulated space ships. We learned that it's difficult to pull together a complete package that combines exceptional educational value, kid appeal, and ease of use.
Read below for cameo descriptions and check out the comparison chart at the bottom of this page, then click on the titles that interest you to see what our parent, teacher, and kid reviewers had to say.
- Professor Finkle's Times Table Factory [for ages 7 to 10] from Sing 'n Learn Software is a colorful, humorous program that focuses on one thing -- teaching multiplication -- and does it very well.
- The Great San Francisco Scavenger Hunt [for ages 8 to 12] from Sparkle Productions, is a computerized board game that requires calculating and problem-solving skills to win. Children who enjoy wheel-spinning and token-moving board games will enjoy -- and learn from -- this progam.
- Nothin' but the Facts Arithmetic Review [for ages 5 to adult] from Interactive Educational Productions, provides an impressively broad and deep range of flashcard-like drills and exercises. Simple graphics limit the kid-appeal, but the challenge of solving problems against the clock will be sufficient attraction for some.
- Mighty Math Calculating Crew [for ages 8 to 12] from Edmark, uses a quartet of superheroes to try and attract kids into practicing and strengthening basic math skills. An interesting 3-D geometry visualization section breaks the tedium of math drills designed to strengthen crucial math skills.
- Larson's Leapfrog Math - Intermediate 1 [for third grade] from Meridian Creative Group, is a comprehensive math program for this age range, but one best used as a supplement to classroom instruction, rather than as a replacement.
- Mathematics StudyWorks! [for ages 15 and up] from MathSoft, is a combination math-enabled word processor, and formula reference book. This program is best for the math student or teacher who needs to prepare papers, reports, or tests that incorporate math symbols.
Take a look at the ratings tables below, click on the titles of the software you are interested in to see the complete review, or click on "PC" or "Mac" in the Buyers Guide column to see current market prices in our Buyers Guide.
Can't find one that meets your needs? Check out other Math programs we've reviewed.
|Professor Finkle's Times Table Factory||Learn 'n Sing||* * * * *||* * * *||* * * * *||PC
|Great San Francisco Scavenger Hunt||Sparkle||* * * *||* * * *||* * * * *||PC
|Nothin' but the Facts Arithmetic Review||Interactive Educational Productions||* * * * *||* *||* * * * *||
|Mighty Math Calculating Crew||Edmark||* * * *||* * *||* * * *||PC
|Larson's Leapfrog Math - Intermediate 1||Meridian Creative Group||* * * *||* *||* * * *||PC
|Mathematics StudyWorks!||MathSoft||* * *||* *||* * * *||PC
|Other Math Program Reviews|
Buyers Guide /
Did you remember to set a bookmark for http://www.superkids.com to find us again?
Questions or comments regarding this service?
Copyright © 1997 Knowledge Share LLC. All rights reserved.